Thursday 2 August 2012

Mermaids and water babies


My tag this week takes you on a journey to another dimension.  Dive into an ocean of dreams and swim through the portal that will take you to the world  where  mermaids roam free.   Sometimes we get glimpses of other worlds, times and places and in the same way this tag gives a glimpse of another world.  To start with you cannot  see much more than the shimmer of water.   As you turn over organza overlays, more and more of the mermaid’s world becomes reality. Alternate layers of blue and green organza shimmer and glisten as each overlay gives way to reveal more of the world of mermaids. 

 
Turn the tag over and another mermaid comes into view. The mermaids remain incomplete, keeping the secret of their existence far below the waves.
  

The base tag is craft vylene, coloured with silk paints.  There are 4 layers of organza folded and stitched to the top of the tag. Some layers of organza are cut on the bias and some on the straight grain which is what makes the layers shimmer and move with changes in the light.  The mermaids are made using glitter glue, shells, and  sequins.  The tail on the second one came from an old Ariel Barbie; she had no head or arms either!
The background has bubbles made from sequins and glass.    
The tag is finished with coordinating ribbons and threads. 
  The tag is photographed against one of  the July pages of my Tag Book (volume 2)
Here are all my July pages, I hope you like them. 


One last thing!

Just had to share this with you - I'm defrosting my freezer today  and this piece of ice is the last to disappear.  Could it be an Ice Mermaid?


Sorry this was such a long post I had trouble deciding what pics to include, they were all so pretty.  I have loved the themes this month.  I think I'm a bit of a water baby myself!  Can't wait to see all your mermaids, see you all later.  love Jane xx

19 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning. A piece of art that you can keep turning over and over . Brilliant design. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love this!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, and that piece of ice really seems to be a frozen mermaid! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very "cool" idea! Good luck w/ your freezer too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful... I just love the way the organza causes the interference patterns. When I saw the title of the tag I thought "if I was doing this I'd not show complete mermaids but just the suggestion of a tail..." - I love the sequins, the bubbles, the ice... It's fabulous!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning tag... May x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gorgeously interactive tag Jane. Very creative idea to use the layers. I love the tag book idea too

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fAbulous tag - interactive, tactile, mysterious and of course, beautiful :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the water effect you created with the organza. Your mermaids are stunning. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A BIG THANK YOU, all of you, you've made my day! I feel a bit guilty for letting my Ice Mermaid melt, maybe I should have let her live in the freezer? I like to think she is free now and can be a real Water Mermaid now!Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane, this is exquisite, mysterious and other worldly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea and so beautifully put together - I love the layers and the 'hint' of a mermaid - the tag is stunning, and clever and beautiful and and and .....!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever idea Jane, just love those misty layers! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your seaside & mermaid motifs on your tags are always so pretty! You commented on my APR series that you wished you could draw.....me too! I don't feel like my little bird blobs (my hubby said they looked like squirrels sitting on a wire) and dandelion attempts are pretty simple shapes....that's what I do and call drawing. Simple shapes and not too realistic then it's hard to criticize since it's not mean to be realistic. At least that's what I tell myself. :) Give it a try with simple non-representational fish or starfish or seashells first....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! Love the layers idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea behind this tag!Brilliant! The layers are such a good idea.You really achieved the purpose you had in mind.Enjoyed this tag!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wowza...what a beautiful...dreamy...enchanting glimpse into the magical mermaid world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous! So creative. Congratulations! Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/