Tuesday 15 May 2012

GARDENING - know your onions



‘Benjamin delays their departure by gathering onions, which he wraps in Peter's handkerchief. He then takes a casual stroll around the garden,’

I love gardening and share an allotment at Longbarrow Allotments, Bournemouth; three years ago they won an award for the Best Allotment Site in the UK. We have had our plot for nearly a year now, and we are keen to keep up the standard.   Next week is the first week of competition judging.  Paul has to do all the hard work,(there are certain benefits to being a wheelchair user!)
I do my bit by planting seeds, potting up and making sure everything is labelled. (I’ve made a start by getting the Alliums clearly marked (not that the local rabbits need vegetable signposts!). Not the usual type of tag, but these are my Gardening Tags for the week:

Paul made the base tags by nailing small pieces of wood to tiny wooden posts.  I then painted a little garlic, an onion and some shallots on them.  I rubbed a little furniture wax into the wood to stop the marker pen bleeding into the wood, then wrote on them with a permanent marker. Unfortunately I learned this lesson the hard way which is why the GARLIC tag is a bit dodgy; the ink bled the first time and I had to sand it down and start again.  Shame because I like the garlic pic the most.
Here are the newly labelled onion family. Let’s hope they impress the judges!
I’m off now to see what gardening you have all been doing! then I'll be back up the allotment. It's going to be a busy week!
Take care, Jane xx

13 comments:

  1. What a great tag tale and tags. Thanks for the tip about using furniture polish I will try it. Can't have bleeding Doodly birds can we Jane.
    Lynn
    One I made earlier today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be terrible, but I had to laugh, sorry!

      Delete
  2. Lovely tag pictures. I too didn't know about the furniture polish; handy tip for wooden buttons.
    Good luck in the competition :0))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, love your *real* garden tags! Have fun in your allotment, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! Cool tags. Good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these totally original (and useful)tags. Brilliant!

    Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your story LOL. Love your tag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tags, wish my vegetable markers were this pretty I might have to give it a try! Good luck with your garden this year.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! And good luck with the veggie plants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tags and useful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely drawings on your tags! Such a novel idea! Well done,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This abounds in creativity, lovely Tag x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Totally cool take on your tag!

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/