Tuesday 19 June 2012

Green

Well, after all our June rain Britain is very much a green and pleasant land, so to celebrate our beautiful countryside I thought I would try for a Green Man, which is a sculpture or drawing of a face surrounded  by leaves. He is found on churches and other buildings and is a symbol of rebirth or renaissance. For some reason he is nearly always a man, green women are rare!
I started by embosssing my tag with a wood grain folder to represent the bark of a tree and coloured it with all the brown distress inks. After trying many forms I painted the green face with water colours onto cartridge paper and then adhered it to 'Clearly for Art' which is a marvelous material that you can heat and then shape, it gave his face some dimension.

tag tuesday green
tag tuesday green

Then I punched and die cut leaves from grungepaper and card from my stash, went mad with greeen paint, added angelina fibre and wool to his hair and painted his eyes with lumescent green paint to give him his stare! I then remembered some acrylic green leaf buttons I had stashed away so glued them on for extra depth. Fun to make, can't wait to see all your green contributions this week!
Thankyou all for your kind comments, I love reading them. Take care and have a good week, try and get out into the countryside or a park when you can! x

19 comments:

  1. Love your green man! I have been painting a green man for some weeks now, but it is rather large and I am running out of patience! Love all the leaves on your piece, too! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired idea and a really cool tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing Barb! He reminds me of Treebeard from LOTR with all his amazing leaves around :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tag - what a great idea - I have a book about the green man, he's a fascinating character. You've really captured the theme this week beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew there would be lots of different takes on this weeks theme. Your green man is inspired. I love all the layering of leaves and twigs x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant Barb and I am impressed with all your techniques
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tag and love your green man. You have put lots into this and it shows! Carolyn x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool! Love the leafy hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great 'Green Man' tag Barb with lots of lovely green bits and bobs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very complex and playful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tag. I love all the layers of leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous.. love the elements, texture/layers.. Brillant! May x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Green Man tag! I almost made one as well, because we have a great pagan festival in our town every May, the Jack in the Green festival, when a huge figure covered in greenery ceremoniously gets killed to get rid off the winter and release the summer. You did such a great job on him, he is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely character!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another unique and interesting tag Barb...your green man is fab! love all the assorted leaves and fibers...cool tag!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! He's so fantastic,especially the eyes. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love your green man tag - such starey eyes. I fancy doing a green man embroidery especially now having seen the green men on tags this week, Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how you created your green man to make him 3d, I shall have to look out for that product.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in love with his eyes! A super green man. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete


Great to have you here, thanks for commenting and hope to see you again soon! Please be aware that by linking to us you voluntarily enter your own name and link. To view the privacy policy of Mr Linky, please visit here. http://www.misterlinky.net/blog/